Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Friday, March 26, 2010
- Volunteers to man the donation/information booth
- Baked goods and donated soft drinks for the event
- Help setting up chairs and table
- Your attendance at the event (along with spreading the word of this event to your friends and neighbors!)
The newly formed South Pasadena Arts Council (SPARC), in partnership with the South Pasadena Library and the Friends of the South Pasadena Library, will present a free screening of the critically-acclaimed 2009 film, “Bright Star,” on April 17 at 7:30 p.m. in the Community Room of the South Pasadena Library.
Directed by Academy Award winning Jane Campion, “Bright Star” depicts the secret romance between 19th century poet John Keats and the love of his short life, Fanny Brawne. With its stunning images and evocative score, critics have called this PG-rated film about poetry and love a visual poem in itself.
Following the screening, actor Paul Schneider (NBC’s “Parks and Recreation,” “Lars and the Real Girl”), who received the National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in “Bright Star,” will give a behind-the-scenes talk about the making of the film and working with director Campion.
The Community Room of the South Pasadena Library is located at 1115 El Centro St. Admission is free, but donations to SPARC are encouraged to fund future events.
Doors open at 7 p.m. Refreshments will be available for purchase.
For more information, contact Margo Newman, South Pasadena Arts Council Co-chair of SPARC Media Events, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Fremont Centre Theatre at 626.441.5977
Wednesday, March 3, 2010
We also encourage email sign ups prior to the next meeting.
- South Pasadena Arts Council's part in the event:
- Our footprint will be Meridian street with our focus on the Meridian Iron Works Museum side of the street. Both sides of Meridian will be closed to traffic.
- Unless we can get lighting, our interactive activity will most likely be from 5pm - 8pm.
- Our event will be an interactive visual arts project which will either be painting the street or painting panels that line the street. (see Artist sketch below). Participants will be encouraged to paint the panels or street.
- There will be a common theme and a color pallet chosen.
- So Pasadena Arts Council Artists will have specific painting areas or panels to oversee and create.
- Margo Newman and Kevin Foxe are spearheading an interactive Media/film project that will air on the screen on the side of the museum.
- In addition, the Chamber is offering to So Pasadena Arts Council artists 2 options:
- To buy into a gallery space for $100 to sell and display artwork (location is TBD). Artists would be responsible for hanging and framing expenses. One So Pasadena Arts Council volunteer would spearhead this gallery and liaison with the Chamber to help facilitate this space.
- To showcase artwork in a space for free (location is TBD). So Pasadena Arts Council volunteers would be responsible for entire setup and breakdown.
May 1st is our preview to what we hope will be our big interactive arts event in the Fall.
Our next South Pasadena Arts Council large group meeting will be Thursday, March 18 at 7pm and we will let you know soon the date and details for our first fundraising event!
Please email email@example.com to sign up or for more information.
Arts Are Alive in South Pasadena!